Subject and Functions
- Formulation of policies programmes and projects in regard to the subjects of Ports, Highways and Expressways and all subjects that come under the purview of Departments and Statutory Institutions mentioned below on the basis of Mahinda Chinthna - Vision for the Future and any other over-all National Policies that may be adopted by the Government.
- Road Development Authority and its Subsidiaries and Associates
- Road Development Fund
- Direction of the implementation of such policies, programmes and projects within time lines agreed with the national planning authorities and within budgeted resources, with a view to achieving relevant objectives.
- Provision of all public services that come under the purview of the Ministry in an efficient and people friendly manner.
- Reforming of all systems and procedures to ensure the conduct of business in an efficient manner deploying modern management techniques and technology where applicable while eliminating corruption and waste
- Provision and Maintenance in optimum condition of a high quality network of national highways and other principal road
- Implementation of the Maga Neguma Rural Road Development Programme
- Improvement of clear co-ordination process to cover all road project implementing agencies for an integration development and monitoring collection of road user charges in respect of National Policy
- Formulation of Programmes and Projects based on National Policy in respect of Provincial and Local Authority roads and co-ordination and monitoring of such programmes and projects
- Road Development activities connected to Kottawa, Kaduwela and Kadawatha Township Development Project